Saturday, August 24, 2013

The {Story} of our Greats...(why Family History is so COOL!)

Good Afternoon!!!
Hopefully everyone is having a great day! 

Well, this is kind of an "older" story, but it's one of my {favorites} 
This happened on my mission, just over a month ago, and it has been one of many {miracles} that I have seen on my mission. But this story, is so special not only to me, but to my companion. It brought our companionship closer, and made and even {stronger} bond between us. This is just a gist of the {story} and most importantly it this{experience} help me develop a super strong testimony of Family History Work! It made me realize why we find out where we came from! Our Heritage is so, so, so, {IMPORTANT}

On a beautiful morning of July 19th , Sister Christensen and I were beginning our {companionship} study. We did our norm; pray, sing, read from the white hand book, recite our purpose and then dived right into discussing what each us learned in personal study. 

Sister Christensen was telling me about what she had read and learned from her personal study, while she was talking to me I picked up the book Our Heritage, a book from the Missionary Library.

Well, I just {fanned} through the pages and the "fan" stopped on a {random} page, and my eyes went straight to a brief history about the {story} of "The Battle of the Big Blue" I then skimmed the story and instantly felt the power of the {spirit} 

I then looked at Sister Christensen and said I need to read something aloud to you...

Battle of the Big Blue

"The mob came again on 23 July, and Church leaders offered themselves as ransom if they would not harm the people. But the mob threatened injury to the whole Church and forced the brethren to agree that all Latter-day Saints would leave the county. As the actions of the mob were illegal, running counter to the constitutions of the United States and the state of Missouri, Church leaders sought the aid of the governor of the state, Daniel Dunklin. He advised them of their civil rights and directed the Saints to get legal counsel. Alexander W. Doniphan and others were hired to represent Church members, an action that further infuriated the mob.
At first the Latter-day Saints attempted to avoid direct conflict; however, the beatings of members and the destruction of property eventually led to a battle near the Big Blue River. Two members of the mob were killed, and the Saints lost Andrew Barber. Philo Dibble was shot three times in the stomach. Newel Knight was called to administer to him, with miraculous results. Brother Dibble related:
“Brother Newel Knight came to see me, and sat down on the side of my bed. … I felt the Spirit resting upon me at the crown of my head before his hand touched me, and I knew immediately that I was going to be healed. … I immediately arose and discharged three quarts of blood or more, with some pieces of clothes that had been driven into my body by the bullets. I then dressed myself and went out doors. … From that time not a drop of blood came from me and I never afterwards felt the slightest pain or inconvenience from my wounds, except that I was somewhat weak from the loss of blood.”
 
(Same story can be found on page 45 of Our Heritage)

Sister Christensen looked at me with a smile and said "Yeah, I grew up hearing that story!" 

Sister Christensen is a descendant of Philo Dibble (the third-great Grandaughter), which I knew, but she didn't quit understand the importance of the {story} just yet. As, my emotions overtook me , I couldn't help, but yell "I'm the fourth-great Grandaughter of Newel Knight!!"

Her face dropped, and I could see the power of the Holy Ghost Testify to her exactly what it was testifying to me.

We both we're thrilled for many reasons
1. We are both descendents of Philo Dibble and Newel Knight
2. We were companions 180 years later, and discovered it together.
3. It showed that their posterity has been faithful for this long.
4. The Priesthood Power is {REAL}
5. It has taught us what true {friendship} is.

And, just so much more! This miracle has made a huge impact on my life. I now have an even stronger testimony of the Priesthood Power and Family History. 

I am beyond blessed to be a descendent from such a faithful man, I have learned more and more about Newel Knight and he has become an example to me. 

As I reflect on this experience time and time again, I see more and more how The Lord truly does know what he is doing. His hand is in every aspect of my life, and that Sister Christensen and I weren't just randomly put together as companions. I didn't randomly flip to page 45 of Our Heritage. I didn't randomly feel impressed to read that brief history. No, none of that happened by a "coincidence". 
It was just simply The Lord.

Thanks! So MUCH!! For following my Blog, this {story} is a special one to my heart. I have a Temple Square Date today with a Part Member Family and can't wait to go and see what {blessing} is just waiting to happen! So, Check back on Tuesday to see what {wonderful} things The Lord has done :)

Love You All
-Sister Ashcroft



No comments:

Post a Comment