Friday, September 13, 2013

The {Story} of a Sister's Luncheon...and a Special Guest... who might that be?!

Howdy-do-da!

It's been a pretty exciting day! I learned so much! I got some questions answered! I had a wonderful lunch! I got to see so many wonderful sisters of the mission, and I had the privileged to not only meet an amazing women, but I got to listen to her speak!

You all are probably wondering WHO?!?

Right?

Well, keep reading and you will find out!

It's been a great day! Our mission had a "Sister Luncheon" this morning. So, our sweet Mission President Wife organizes this event every so often, and she gathers all the Sisters in the mission together and we eat, mingle, laugh, and take a gazillion and one pictures! (No exaggeration)

She has her daughters and grandaughters help prepare this special day! Of course it's always decorated so beautifully! (Her daughter has quit the talent to make such fun center pieces...sorry, I'm lame and of course forgot a picture.) And, of course we have a delicious meal prepared for us. Today we had white rice with some meat ball saucey thing! It was sooo GOOD! Then a salad on the side, some fresh grapes, and you can't complete the meal without some gooey mint brownies. YUMmmmm....

So, we did what we sisters to best! Eat. Talk. and take more pictures!

Then we proceed into another room, you know after we spend an hour taking pictures (and yet I took very few pictures. I have some serious probs)

We walk down the hall way! Doing our thing walking, talking, and picture taking! Seriously, we Sisters have some talent!

We take more pictures and then find our seats as we continue to take 50 more pictures of the same pose.

Sister Swain stands up, the cameras then disappear. She shares a few words, we sing a song, have an opening prayer and then invites (drum roll please) Sister Wendy Nelson, Elder Russel M. Nelson wife to come and talk to us.

And, oh my sweet heavens! She is an amazing person! I just love her!

She is a very talented women! She is beautiful. She is Strong. She is funny. And she LOVES the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

She talked to us about personal revelation. --- Perfect, right?

So, she talked to us about exercising the spirit and inviting it in. Sister Nelson also talked about how the spirit talks to us personally. We can all hear the same talk, but get different views from it, because the spirit adjusts his teaching to us.

She used the analogy of a one size fits all.

"One Size does not fit all, that is code for that is going to look awful" -Sister Nelson

A side from her funny comment, she explained so simply that the Gospel of Jesus Christ can fit all. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is here for us, the Holy Ghost is here for us, why not use it? It's tailored to fit our needs.

She bore her testimony of the power of the Spirit, and to ask questions! The Lord will answer. When we are serious about receiving personal revelation The Lord will reveal it to you!

Sister Nelson also spoke briefly to us on obedience and that we are divine errands. Which means show up where The Lord needs you and do what he wants you to do! He called me to the Utah, Salt Lake City West Mission and I'm here to do His work! She pointed out that this mission will teach me obedience, exact obedience that is.

"Obedience brings blessings, exact obedience brings miracles."  -Unknown Missionary 

My Favorite part of her talk was the "Pre-mortal DVD"

Sadly, church head quarters does not have a Pre-mortal DVD :( haha...

But said if we had the chance to sit in a room for 10 minuets and we could choose any eon of the pre-mortal existence, we would all see that every trial and tribulation in this life is all worth it! Not only that, but we would remembered that we signed up for it. We agreed to coming to this life. We chose to come here, we all wanted a body, and we wanted to gain experience! It's pretty cool to think about, huh? Now if we would  think about that the next time life throws us a curve ball our attitude would change. We would appreciate  this life maybe a little more.

I took the time to truly think about the "Pre-mortal DVD" and I saw myself standing next to Christ. I saw my true self, who God really intends for me to be, then I realized that it is so important for me to live this life. To accept all the bad things that have happened to me, and be grateful for all the good things that have happened to me. Because I did agree to this life, and it's all a "test". It's all for experience and greater understanding of God's Plan.

And when you see your true self, pre-mortally every trial, tribulation, and heart ache seems to fall away. 

Sister Nelson then challenge all the Sister to draw a four column chart in our Journals. 

The each of the four columns
*Date
*A Question
*Where we found it
*What was the answer

Then challenge us for the next 30 days to prayerfully ask The Lord a question every day, any question we have. Then flip open to the scriptures and read until we find out answer. The just journal it down. 

I learned so much for Sister Nelson, she is an amazing women! A great role model. She made me love my mission even more. She has helped me see my true self and see what God has planned for me. She just taught me so much. Sister Nelson has one of the sweetest spirits, she loves the gospel, and has a very strong testimony of the truthfulness of the everlasting gospel. 

She taught me the importance of asking questions. And ask The Lord hard one, because He can and He will answer them. To also ask for angles to help us. Because we don't have to do it alone, this is a hard, and it will all be worth it one day.

I love this Gospel so much! It is true! That I am sure of! I know The Book of Mormon is true! I am so grateful to serve in the Salt Lake City West Mission! The Lord called me here, how cool, right? I love my family so much, and can't even being to express the appreciation I have for them! I have the best support system cheering me on back home, and on the other side.

Thanks for Reading. I truly do love doing what I do. Keep Reading my Posts who knows what The Lord has up His sleeve next for me. 

:) :) :)

Love You All
-Sister Ashcroft

 Kindred Spirits... I'm sure of it!
(Left to Right) Sister Joseph, Sister Whitney, Sister Judd, Sister Christensen, and well then there is the awkward Sister Aschroft
 (Left to Right) Sister Christensen, Sister Ashcroft, Sister Unga, Sister Joseph
 (Left to Right) Sister Joseph, Sister Nelson, Sister Ashcroft
 (Left to Right) Sister Ashcroft, Sister Unga, Sister Joseph
 All the Sisters in the Mission


Sister Ashcroft, Sister Christensen, Sister Nelson, Sister Hollier





No comments:

Post a Comment