Saturday, September 14, 2013

The {Story} of the relating to the scriptures

Hi!!

Well, okay so I LOVE MY MISSION!

I know, I know, I say that in every post. But I just love my Mission. It's a such a {blessing} Again, I know, I say that in every post too.

But my Mission will forever change my life, I don't even know where I would be in life right now. Serving a mission has made me appreciate the gospel so much, it as strengthened my testimony immensely, and even more I have gained a testimony of The Book of Mormon. As, I read more and more everyday I learn more and more from it.

People always told me growing up that I can find "similar" experiences or that I could easily relate the stories of The Book of Mormon to my everyday life.

Yeah, right I thought.

Noppers, I was so wrong!

You can totally personalize the scripture context to you---

(1 Nephi 19:23) "...for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning."

Every time I open the scriptures I learn more, more and more!

(1 Nephi 1:1) I, Nephi having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yeah, have had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

Description to the T!! I, (Kourtni) Sister Ashcroft having been born of goodly parents. Seriously, I have the {greatest} parents! And I was in the learning of my Father, I'm {extremely} blessed to have parents that taught me how much my Heavenly Father loves me! I've had my own afflictions in the course of my 20 years! I do have a great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God, and I get to keep record of them through my journals and blogs!

(1 Nephi 3:7) "... I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the Children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Where do I begin? The Lord called me to SALT LAKE CITY WEST! He called me to serve a mission. When was this in the plans? Then He called me to be a trainer... and white wash at the same time! What? I wasn't so sure when my Mission President called me, but The Lord will always prepare a way! I have a sure testimony of that! 

 (Ether 12:2) "...for he could not be restrained because of the spirit of the Lord which was in Him." 

That "spiritual high" missionaries are always on is so real! There have been so many times where I have just been caught up in the work I can't wait to go share the Gospel again the next day! Or when I hear a powerful testimony of a fellow missionary, member, Mission President, or anyone! And I can hardly sit still. I just want to jump up and down and share the gospel! 

(1 Nephi 4:6) "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing before hand the things which I should do."

What the spirit has taught me on my mission, is to just listen! Seriously. Just listen. There have been times where I have been put on the spot not knowing what to say and suddenly words filled my mouth, with exactly what I needed to say. 

(1 Nephi 6:5) "Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world."

Serving a mission has left me in the world, but not of the world! I never understood the meaning of that scripture, until I served a mission. It's funny to go to young women's on Sunday and sit in the back of the class and listen to all the girls talk... I honestly have no idea what they are talking about? They talk about what celebrity just got married, what is the latest trend, what is the recent songs to listen too, who is who? I don't know? And Relief Society isn't any better! They talk about the news, and what is happening in the world! Who just had a baby, or who passed away, who is getting married.

I just live in my own little "Missionary Bubble" and sometimes I just want to jump in mid-conversation and be like have you heard the latest in The Book of Mormon?I hear it contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel! I was reading about Lehi and His dream! Seriously, I need to get my hands on that fruit! It's sounds like the bomb-diggity! I was told Nephi is building a boat! Man, that kid is proactive! Then Samuel the laminate was trying to post the truth on his wall and he had arrows and rocks thrown at him. Yikes! Talk about about scary! It sounds like Laman and Lemuel are at again... geezz.. when are they going to learn? And Enos! Man, oh, Man can he pray! I heard about the stripling warriors latest battle, all 2,000 of them returned without a single death. They really listened to their mothers! Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah had a change of heart, and know they are out sharing the gospel! The Brother of Jared saw The Lord's finger! Wow! Talk about real faith! I also read that Moroni made a promise in the end! If we read it with a sincere heart and pray to ask if it is true The Lord will reveal it unto us! That sounds so cool! We should totally do that!

I wonder how many stares I would get? 

(Mosiah 2:17) "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn what when ya are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

 The scriptures really have taught me what true service is, and when I serve others, I'm serving my God. 

(Ether 12:24) "And thou hast made us that we could write but little, because of the awkwardness of our hands..."

Okay.. My favorite! I know how poor of a writer I am. I spell horribly, and I sometimes skip words in my sentences, or write them twice... I struggle.  I have "awkward" hands. We'll just leave it at that.

Well, I could do this all day long, but I think you all get the hint! You can relate to the scriptures. Whether it's great detail or just simple. But we all can.The scriptures were put here for a reason! So, read them! There is so much to learn from them! 

I encourage everyone to gain a testimony of The Book of Mormon! And see for yourself if it is true.

(Moroni 10:4) tells us "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."

I bare my testimony that if you do as this scripture directs you will receive personal revelation that The Book of Mormon is true! I know it is. I am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I'm blessed to live in this time of era where I have the truth, and that I get to go out and share it everyday. I love this gospel and know that it can only improve the quality of ones life. This is the only true church established on earth today. 

I love you all! Thanks for reading my post. I really do appreciate it! Check back next week! 

Love You All
-Sister Ashcroft 



Oh, you know! Just an awkward picture of my companion using my foot to testify  "The Church is true! The Book is blue! And God loves you!" Totally Normally, I know.





No comments:

Post a Comment