Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The {Story} of a humbling from The Lord

Hello Everyone! 
I hope everyone is having a grand, splendid day! West Valley is {finally} starting to cool off, not much though, but it will get there! 

Well, I have a funny story today! About how humbling The Lord can be. It's funny, but at the same time it taught me a lot... 


Okay, so just a real quick background about Sister Ashcroft... she is very competitive (yes, I love to talk in third person) She is really competitive, and it sometimes gets in her in a {pickle}.

So, we were sitting in District Meeting at a start of a new transfer going around the room introducing ourselves and giving  little backgrounds about who we are. You know the same old thing--

Hello, I'm Sister Ashcroft
I'm from New Mexico
I have 2 Sisters, 2 Brother, a Mom and Dad, I have a great family. 
Before my mission I was working in a pharmacy and going to school
And something I love to do is play sports, especially Soccer and Track. 

So, and Elder whose name shall not be reviled said...

"Oh, cool Track, huh? What did you run?"

Me-"I run hurdles." 

Elder -"Oh, yeah were you any good." 

Me-"Yeah, I did well."

Elder-"Oh, well, no offense, but you do not seem like you would be fast!" 

So, What Sister Ashcroft should have done is just let it go. But what Sister Ashcroft did do was get {really} competitive, and {really} wanted to prove him wrong. (Not a smart idea, please don't follow by example)

I did try to not let it bother me... but it didn't work.  So, as I try to prove myself I hear someone say 

"RACE! RACE HIM!" 

 At first I ignored it, but then my pride got the best of me. (Long Story, Short) And then one thing kept leading to another, and before I knew it I was standing outside in the church parking lot bare foot, stretched and ready to race against this Elder. 

"On your marks... Get Set (The Elder takes off running).... GOO!!!!!"

And we are off to our foot race!

Well, I am just  running as fast as my little legs can! And then I do a }{beautiful} crash, tumble, slide across the pavement, and roll!

I popped right up, and acted like I did not just face plant in front of a crowd of Elders and my companion.

Well, than I see a crowd of Elders run towards to see if I'm okay, and you know, then there goes my pride talking again...

"oh, yeah I'm fine! Don't worry! I'm not hurt at all"

Then one Elder says "Sister! Look at you leg!"

I look and see road rash up my leg, and up my arms, but my skirt didn't tear! That's a plus!

I then suddenly felt the pain. I spent the next 2 hours picking gravel out of my leg and arms...

Well, that was a pretty sleepless night. I woke up the next morning totally exhausted and went to read my scriptures and just randomly flipped to a page... my eyes went right to Mosiah 4:27

"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength;. And, again it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."

Talk about humbling, right? The Lord humbled me everyday after that experience.

But I learned a lot from that scripture! We don't need to try and go over and beyond on everything, we don't have to be the best, we don't have to do things we are not capable of doing. 

The Lord doesn't asks us to do things that we can't handle, but that we try our best to follow and listen to Him. When we are wise in our choices, and we are diligent in all things he asks of us, he promises us the greatest prize of all. 

I love this gospel, I'm grateful for our loving Heavenly Father. I'm grateful that no matter how many times I might fall He will always help me back up, He will never leave me alone or lead me astray. That His love for me is unconditional. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I know that this is the greatest prize that anyone could ever receive.  

I love you all! 
-Sister Ashcroft







No comments:

Post a Comment