Saturday, September 28, 2013

The {stories} of good music


I have a NEW COMPANION!!!!

Yes, my dear friend Sister Christensen has been transferred. She will be missed!  :(

So, The Lord has me training...again! He really likes to put alot of trust in me. (YIKES) But it's a real blessing to train. I've learned that the "trainie" becomes the "trainer". I end up learning more from the new sisters than they learn from me. 

Her is name is Sister Porter, from Virgina! She just got out of the MTC! She is the sweetest thing. She is a very soft spoken girl, so she doesn't say much. Ha, I'm sure she wont have ears by the end of this transfer, because I will probably talk them right off. 

Fun Fact about Sister Porter she was going to school for horticulture, which is a mixed between botany and agriculture. Her hobbies are gardening, and she LOVES to pull weeds! (She needs to go to my Mom's house)

I recently learned today that she has a very pretty voice! Which is great! The Lord blessed me with many gifts and talents, but singing was not one of them. If her ears don't fall off by me talking so much, they'll bleed due to my hideous voice that she hears constantly. :P

But I am so excited for this new transfer! Sister Porter is going to be great! She has a strong testimony and loves this gospel! I can already tell people are going to be so happy to serve with her. 

Today we had rehearsal for our missionary devotional. We have one once a month and the missionaries have the opportunity to sing in our mission choir. We are starting to sound like the MoTab. ;)

Songs we Sing:

Army of Helaman
Because I have been given much (in Spanish)
Praise to the Man
Brightly Beams, Our Father Mercy
Dear to the heart of the Shepherd

And two new ones we will sing in the near future Lead, Kindly Light and This is The Christ.

So, even though I can't sing. I love to sing. Ha... crazy, I know. But isn't it amazing how music can set the mood of things?

I love how church hymns can invite the spirit, sometimes more than just a speaker. 


D&C 25:12

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart: yea, the song of the righteous prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."

When I read this scripture it reminded of when I was preparing for a mission. I use to be a music junkie! I loved my music. I always had it on, no matter what I was doing; getting ready, driving, surfing the web, running, just anything. I loved my music. 

So, leaving music was one of the hardest things to leave behind coming on a mission. But I have learned how music really does effect our thoughts and actions. 

I remember a time in Seminary! (by the way I had the BEST seminary teacher, Brother Bauer) A lesson that he had given about music, and I remember it changed my mind on what kind of music I should be listening too. 

He had taken a few of the "hits" of that year, and played them for the class to listen. Of course all the kids start singing them word for word, then he went in deeper into the words. And so many times I was found guilty of listening to songs for the beat or rhythm, and I wasn't listening to the words, or the meanings. 

I remember him reciting the lyrics to one of my favorite songs at the time by Fergie. Aghh.... YIKES!!!! I was so mortified by what the song actually meant. He made a great point! Because, I never listened to that song again. 

When we sing appropriate songs that invite the spirit it is a prayer to The Lord. Which is why we should sing songs about the Savior in a proper manner, because we are singing them with a righteous desire. Think of the blessings that can come upon us! The scriptures tell us we sing songs unto The Lord. 

Music is one of Satan temptations, I am first to admit it! Even on a mission it's a temptation. When we walk into Wal-Mart for our weekly shopping and one of my favorite songs is playing in the store. My first instinct is to listen to it, and sing along. But my companion (my old companion Sister Christensen) and I just look at each with huge eyes and start singing our favorite primary song. It's sounds silly, but we really have to do it!

In the "For the Strength of Youth" it says "Music has a profound effect on your mind, spirit, and behavior. Choose carefully the music you listen to. Pay attention to how you feel when you are listening. Some music can carry evil and destructive messages. Do not listen to music that encourages immorality or glorifies violence through lyrics, beat, or intensity. Do not listen to music that uses vulgar or offensive language or promotes evil practices. Such music can dull your spiritual sensitivity."

I know that music can have an affect on one's thoughts and attitude. I have learned the importance of listening to good music. By listening to clean music, our thoughts are cleaner. We are focused on good morals. I know that that through good music we can invite the spirit of our Heavenly Father, and draw closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Music can inspire the soul, and invite the Spirit. It can help us withstand the temptations that are filled in the world.

 Keep in mind that when we sing a song of righteous desire it is a prayer to our Heavenly Father. I am so blessed to serve a mission. I am grateful for music and all the wonderful ways it can be used. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I know that this is the true church. 

Thank you all for reading! I love you all! Keep listening to good music! Have a great day :) 

Love You All
-Sister Ashcroft :)

No comments:

Post a Comment